I recently did a large Tesco online order. I was trying to work out the best buys and noticed the following:
– The cost per 100g is sometimes completely incorrect
– The cost per 100g is sometimes rounded down rather than up which suggests it is cheaper than it actually is
– The cost per unit varies even for the same product – sometimes it is per item or per 100g (tomatoes are an example of this)
– When there is an offer such as buy 2 for £5, the price per 100g doesn’t reflect this, it only has the initial price per 100g.
– The filters on the Tesco website do not allow you to order by price
– The filters do not allow you to filter by brand, something Ocado does allow
– The offers displayed on the website are not always available for your delivery slot (surely they could filter it once you have booked your delivery slot!)
At a time when many people are watching the pennies, supermarkets are really not helping us find the best deals. Should you really need to have a maths degree to balance the budget?