There has been a lot in the headlines about 10 minutes of walking recently. 10 minutes brisk walking a day can have amazing health benefits. 10 minutes sounds like a short amount of time but for some of us it is more difficult to squeeze in that we would like to think. Here are some ideas for squeezing 10 minutes in. Remember you need to be slightly out of breath but still able to talk and your heart rate needs to have gone up for it to count in the 10 minutes.
- Work out how far you can get in 10 minutes walking briskly – the shop, the bus stop, the far end of the car park… and then try and walk briskly every time you have to do that walk.
- Park your car 10 minutes brisk walk away from work and you might even get 20 minutes in a day.
- Park 10 minutes away from your child’s school and you can make it 40 minutes a day – plus, if your school is anything like ours you might even save yourself time because you can leave faster and don’t get stuck in the school gridlock!
- Go for a 10 minute walk round the block before you get in in the evening. It is easier to do it before you get in than motivate yourself to go back out.
- Ditch the car for journeys under a mile. Your car will be grateful too.
We are all busy but we probably spend at least 10 minutes on social media a day we could do without. Social media may teach us things which prolong life but a bit of walking will do us the world of good mentally and physically.
If 10 minutes is too much for you, start small and build it up.
Happy walking 🙂